Social Justice Internships
THE RODERICK AND SOLANGE
MACARTHUR JUSTICE CENTER AT SAINT LOUIS
SOCIAL JUSTICE INTERNSHIPS
The MacArthur Justice Center is accepting applications for social justice internships in its new Saint Louis, Missouri office. Celebrating its 30th anniversary this year, the MacArthur Justice Center is a public interest law firm that has litigated countless high-impact civil rights and systemic reform cases in courts around the country.
The Saint Louis office, working in collaboration with three other MJC offices, seeks to advance criminal, juvenile and racial justice in the Midwest generally – and the St. Louis region in particular – through similar litigation initiatives. For more information about our new office, click here: http://www.stl.macarthurjusticecenter.org.
Undergraduate, graduate and law school interns perform a range of duties to support the office’s trial work, advocacy, and outreach. Such tasks may include sentencing mitigation investigation, responding to letters seeking legal assistance, client intake meetings, witness statements, prison visits, case strategy, criminal justice-related research, or other tasks.
- Student in good standing attending college/university in St. Louis area;
- Energetic self-starter with a passion for criminal justice reform and a desire to effectuate change in the St. Louis region;
- Strong communication, writing, and organizational skills;
- Ability to follow-through on assignments independently;
- Maturity and flexibility around changing priorities and deadlines as needed;
- Strong attention to detail and commitment to completing tasks quickly and thoroughly;
- Strong interpersonal skills and ability to engage with clients and others in the community;
- Dedication to zealous advocacy and building client-centered relationships;
- Ability to work creatively, effectively, and ethically as part of a team;
- Ability to work on several projects at once;
- Strong written and oral communication skills;
- Experience with computer systems and databases;
- Meticulous record and time keeping skills;
- Prior experience working on social justice campaigns and/or with justice-system involved adults and juveniles a plus; and
- Commit to at least 15-20 hours per week between the hours of 8:30am and 6:00pm, with full-time placements possible.
Location: Saint Louis, MO
Deadline: Applications will be accepted on a rolling basis. To apply, please submit a cover letter, resume, short writing sample, and three references by e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please also indicate whether you will be seeking course credit from an educational institution, support by way of a public interest grant, etc.
The MacArthur Justice Center is committed to equity and equal opportunity and does not discriminate on the basis of gender, disability, age, marital status, status with regard to public assistance, religion, national origin, sexual orientation, race or ethnicity.